Sometimes, it’s easy to forget there is more to your instructors than Martial Arts. So we’re going to start a new little thing the first of every month and highlight a different black belt and help you to get to know a little more about them. First up, the head of our wonderful schools, Grand Master John. W. Rankin.
1. What got you into taekwondo?
Friend in submarine service studied Tae Kwon Do
2. What’s your favorite thing about taekwondo?
3. Have you studied any other martial arts?
Go Shin Ru
Ie I Do
4. What do you do when you’re not doing taekwondo?
Work a 9 to 5 job in Engineering, family, clocks
5. What aspect of taekwondo have you struggled most with?
Left side technique
6. Favorite weapon and why?
Bo or Jo…I can pick up a stick anywhere…looks like a hiking staff…
7. Favorite technique and why?
Side kick..for sure…I have had success with it…
8. How has taekwondo changed you?
Martial Arts has given me another family to care about and who care about me…
9. What would you tell someone just starting out in martial arts?
10. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I am a Horologist….
11. Favorite form?
Piong Ei Dan
12. Favorite place?
13. Favorite book/author?
Some of my favorite authors are:…Grisham, Rose, Collins, Jules Verne, Claton…Belville….Jack London…Poe….
14. Favorite movie or tv show?
15. Favorite quote?
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction “I served in the United States Navy”
John F. Kennedy
16. Favorite season?
17. Favorite food?
Italian or Mexican
18. Favorite ice cream flavor?
19. What hobbies do you have?
20. Dream vehicle?
21. Pets and/or kids?
3 dogs, 2 sons, 2 grand daughters with another grand daughter on the way
22. Dream vacation?
China or Alaska
23. What did/do you want to be when you grow up?
I wanted to be an artist
24. What do you want to learn?
To play the piano
25. Vampires, werewolves, or zombies?
26. Ninjas or pirates?
27. What can’t you live without?
28. Star Wars or Star Trek?
30. Who or what inspires you?
31. One thing you wish you were better at?