Imy Rich has been involved with the Mountain Academy of Martial Arts Gilpin County since 1996. She is very involved (maybe instrumental is more accurate) with the Gilpin County and Clear Creek schools and is the go to person for demos and other events. Always quick with a smile or an idea, Mrs. Rich is a very valuable part of the Mountain Academy.
1. What got you into taekwondo?
I was in a class when I was a child, I made it to green belt or so. I remember feeling like I was stronger physically because of it. After I had my son I felt very weak and everything I tried didn’t seem to help much, so I enrolled in Tom Feagans class. My goal was to get to blue belt!
2. What’s your favorite thing about taekwondo?
John, Jim, Miranda, Jody, Michael, Matthew, Doug, Bruce, Melissa, Dan, Dom, David, Bert, Jason, Juliana, Duncan, Sam, Layla, Jeff, etc.
3. Have you studied any other martial arts?
4. What do you do when you’re not doing taekwondo?
scrapbooking, hiking, play with my rescue dogs/cat, Family.
5. What aspect of taekwondo have you struggled most with?
I would have to say tying my belt. Occasionally Miranda will tell me that it’s wrong even to this day.
6. Favorite weapon and why?
Sword, because it was my first weapon.
7. Favorite technique and why?
I love breaking boards with a ridgehand, because it is unique, not many artists will do them.
8. How has taekwondo changed you?
>I am less of a klutz.
9. What would you tell someone just starting out in martial arts?
If you like it now, you will love it when you get to black belt.
10. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I was on the nightly news with Tom Brocaw in 1992, I was interviewed at the Historical Society on how gaming has changed Gilpin County.
11. Favorite place?
In the mountains.
12. Favorite book/author?
No compassion, no peace, VEGAN, know compassion, know peace.
14. Favorite season?
Colorado! I love winter, but really enjoy spring and fall, summer is good too!
15. Favorite food?
16. Favorite ice cream flavor?
Chocolate peanut butter
Delorian, or 1960 Ford Falcon completely redone, or 1969 GMC one ton with a lift bed (oh, I already have one of those).
18. Pets and/or kids?
2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 boy, 1 girl.
19. Dream vacation?
a full month on the Flattops with my grandparents and my kids.
20. Vampires, werewolves, or zombies?
21. What can’t you live without?
My planner, not a phone type, you know a real handwritten one.
22. Star Wars or Star Trek?
Stephanie Decker, she was the mom who lost her legs while saving her children’s lives in a tornado in March. My uncle Terry for helping lift a car off of a person and receiving a purple heart. Everyone in the military. My nephew for attempting to do cpr on my son’s dog when she was run over.
24. Who or what inspires you?
25. One thing you wish you were better at?
communicating with others.
26. What super power would you want to have?
The power to go back in time and relive a good memory.