Master O’Hara is right at the foundation of the Mountain Academy, has been active in Martial for over 30 years. He has opened, taught, and helped at many of the Academy schools. An excellent Martial Artist that is more than happy to assist the Black Belt instructors or a beginning White Belt. He has been an important part of our Mountain Academy family and is now considered Master of the Art.
1. What got you into taekwondo?
There are several stories that apply, none of them are short. The short answer is Grand Master Rankin.
2. What’s your favorite thing about taekwondo?
3. Have you studied any other martial arts?
Yes, I learn everything I can about other martial arts whenever I have a chance.
4. What do you do when you’re not doing taekwondo?
Write code for Oracle.
5. What aspect of taekwondo have you struggled most with?
How to be the best instructor I can be.
6. Favorite weapon and why?
Whetever is at hand. Stick, cane, belt, glass of water.
7. Favorite technique and why?
Round kick. It’s always been easy for me.
8. How has taekwondo changed you?
Many ways, confidence is probably number one.
9. What would you tell someone just starting out in martial arts?
Practice every day. Wake up, shave your head, eat a bowl of rice, practice martial arts.
10. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
If I told you that, then everyone would know!
11. Favorite form?
12. Favorite place?
Anywhere with my family.
13. Favorite book/author?
I read the Belgariad series by David Eddings when I was younger, it was the first set of books that I really loved.
14. Favorite movie or tv show?
Been watching Firefly lately, that’s a good one.
15. Favorite season?
Spring. Everything is new again!
16. Favorite ice cream flavor?
Vanilla. No, chocolate. No, vanilla. Maybe twist?
17. Favorite super hero?
Spider-man, when I was a kid.
18. Dream vehicle?
19. Pets and/or kids?
Ryan – 10, Ryli – 8.
20. What did/do you want to be when you grow up?
21. Vampires, werewolves, or zombies?
Vampires, if done correctly.
22. Ninjas or pirates?
23. What can’t you live without?
24. Star Wars or Star Trek?
Can’t I have both?
25. Who or what inspires you?
My kids inspire me to be a better person.
26. What super power would you want to have?
If I had any super power I’d be happy.