Known affectionately as our resident Weapons Master, Master Bishop is right at the foundation of the Mountain Academy, has been active in Martial for over 20 years. He has opened, taught, and helped at many of the Academy schools. With his analytical ability, attention to detail and vast knowledge of martial arts, he is both an important part of our Mountain Academy family and a phenomenal resource and is considered a Master of the Art.
1. What got you into taekwondo?
A high school friend by the name of Matt Hamilton. He was a red belt at the time.
2. What’s your favorite thing about taekwondo?
The tradition of having a family atmosphere.
3. Have you studied any other martial arts?
Yes: Hopkido, Aikido, Kendo to name a few.
4. What do you do when you’re not doing taekwondo?
Working. Although one of my two jobs is teaching Tae Kwon Do.
5. What aspect of taekwondo have you struggled most with?
Running a school as a stand alone business.
6. Favorite weapon and why?
None. It isn’t the weapon that matters but the techniques behind them. Since these techniques can be used with many weapons, it doesn’t make sense for me to have a favorite weapon.
7. Favorite technique and why?
Side kick. It can be used effectively as a defensive as well as an offensive move. It is also fast and powerful enough to end a fight in one hit.
8. How has taekwondo changed you?
Tae Kwon Do has made me into a teacher and in a way, a family man.
9. What would you tell someone just starting out in martial arts?
Stay with it. There will be good times and bad, fun times and difficult. Keep your mind on the entire journey.
10. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I am a Texan.
11. Favorite form?
12. Favorite place?
The parks of Utah
13. Favorite book/author?
Just about anything by Douglas Adams.
14. Favorite movie or tv show?
15. Favorite season?
16. Favorite ice cream flavor?
17. What hobbies do you have?
Cooking and Photography.
18. What aspect are you working on?
Running a school as a business.
19. Dream vehicle?
20. Pets and/or kids?
21. What do you want to learn?
What ever the world has to teach me at the moment.
22. What can’t you live without?
Oxygen. Oxygen is your friend.
23. Star Wars or Star Trek?
24. Who or what inspires you?
Anyone or anything is a possible source of inspiration, you just have to keep looking.
25. One thing you wish you were better at?
Fixing small engines.