Bert Hargrave, who heads up the Kinder Kicks class for Mountain Academy of Martial Arts Lakewood, has been part of MAMA for many years receiving both his 1st and 2nd Dans from Grand Master John Rankin and when family life settles down, will most likely also receive his 3rd Dan. Mr. Hargrave can best be characterized by the Teddy Roosevelt quote, “Walk softly but carry a big stick.” While a quiet but quick witted guy on the surface, his lightening quick kicks to the head of even some of our tallest martial artists will definitely keep you on your toes. A wealth of talent and knowledge, we are very fortunate to have Mr. Hargrave in the Mountain Academy family.
1. What got you into taekwondo?
It felt like something I wanted to do.
2. What’s your favorite thing about taekwondo?
3. Have you studied any other martial arts?
I did jujitsu as a teen, and also about 12 years ago.
4. What do you do when you’re not doing taekwondo?
Play with my kids, go to work in a laboratory, garden
5. What aspect of taekwondo have you struggled most with?
Making time for it
6. Favorite weapon and why?
Tonfa. Why? I don’t know.
7. Favorite technique and why?
#10 wrist technical. So simple, so effective
8. How has taekwondo changed you?
I’ve redefined my expectations of what l’m capable of doing. It’s forced me to become a more effective communicator and a more decisive instructor.
9. What would you tell someone just starting out in martial arts?
Be patient, persistent, work hard, have fun. Actually, it’s more like, “No screaming. Lock your back leg. Put on your gorilla faces.”
10. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I’m from Louisiana
11. Favorite form?
Bear, at least it was when l knew it.
12. Favorite place?
13. Favorite book/author?
Myths to Live By – Joseph Campbell
14. Favorite quote?
“Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.” Darth Vadar
15. Favorite season?
Any Spring or Fall day without wind
16. Favorite food?
Almost anything on the menu at Duo
17. Favorite ice cream flavor?
Is there such a thing as a bad flavor of ice cream?
18. Favorite super hero?
19. What hobbies do you have?
Hiking, biking, gardening
20. Pets and/or kids?
Corwin and Lennox. There might also be a cat somewhere in the basement.
21. Vampires, werewolves, or zombies?
No thanks. I’m a vegetarian.
22. What can’t you live without?
23. Who or what inspires you?
All the people in the world who have it tougher than I do
24. One thing you wish you were better at?
Telling the guy at Chipotle he’s got my order wrong
25. What super power would you want to have?
The power to make children sleep.