David Sullivan currently teaches at the Mountain Academy of Martial Arts Littleton but has also been involved with Mountain Academy of Martial Arts Lakewood and the Mountain Academy of Martial Arts Oracle. At around 6’4″, he’s imposing guy, but Mr. Sullivan is probably one of our most patient instructors. He’s often quick with a joke or a story and is an important part of our Tae Kwon Do schools.
1. What got you into taekwondo?
I had an interest as a youth but no $$$. When my son Evan started at another school, Master Ohara started teaching at Oracle. I joined to have a common interest w/ my son (now both sons are in TKD :).
2. What’s your favorite thing about taekwondo?
Knowing that there is always some technique I need to be improving, and learning new techniques.
3. Have you studied any other martial arts?
I have not studied another art but it’s on my list before 2nd degree test.
4. What do you do when you’re not doing taekwondo?
For fun: flyfishing, snowboarding, golf, ride bike (not for fun: work).
5. What aspect of taekwondo have you struggled most with?
I wish I had started at a younger age.
6. Favorite weapon and why?
Bo staff because I like the reach.
7. Favorite technique and why?
Inside out crescent kick because if done well it’s very hard to defend.
8. How has taekwondo changed you?
I have met many friends, and I get a lot of perspective, both from practicing TKD. Also I am in better shape and have fewer back problems and roll my ankles less.
9. What would you tell someone just starting out in martial arts?
Don’t be afraid of the commitment; it is well worth the time and efffort.
10. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I enjoy classical piano and musical theatre.
11. Favorite form?
Pyong E Dan
12. Favorite place?
Williams Fork River
13. Favorite book/author?
Peter the Great by Robert K. Massie
14. Favorite movie or tv show?
15. Favorite season?
Jaguar e-Type V-12 convertible
17. Dream vacation?
Touring Europe (for as long as it takes)
18. What do you want to learn?
I’d like to learn to fly
19. Star Wars or Star Trek?
20. One thing you wish you were better at?
I wish I had more patience