1. What got you into taekwondo?
My little brother was taking at MAMA and my friend and I decided to join.
2. What’s your favorite thing about taekwondo?
The perfect balance of force and fluidity.
3. Have you studied any other martial arts?
I’ve taken a few classes of Tai Chi and Kenpo, and studied kickboxing for a bit. Lately, I’ve been learning Kali under Mr. Bloom’s instruction.
4. What do you do when you’re not doing taekwondo?
I am a Marketing/Strategic Planning and Graphic Design professional by day.
5. What aspect of taekwondo have you struggled most with?
I would say… getting back into the swing of it, I’m still having to remember the logistics. I find myself bowing at odd times, and forgetting to bow here and there. Master O’Hara reminded me of a time, years ago, when I bowed at the entrance of a Foot Locker! Haha
It’s all coming back to me though which is good, because it’s important stuff!
6. Favorite weapon and why?
The fan was always my weapon of choice in my younger years.
7. Favorite technique and why?
Round kicks (surprise, surprise)
8. How has taekwondo changed you?
I think learning—at a young age—the value of earning something so esteemed had a powerful impact on me. Since then, it has been VERY important to me to earn every advantage I receive in life. It can work against me sometimes, but there’s a certain sense of personal pride in knowing each milestone was legitimately earned and achieved.
9. What would you tell someone just starting out in martial arts?
Don’t be afraid to ask for help, and seek out an instructor you connect with. Different instructors have different teaching methods. It’s important to find the right one for you.
10. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I’m a closet “Supernatural” fan. Don’t tell anyone.
11. Favorite form?
I don’t really have a favorite.
12. Favorite place?
Anywhere by or on the water. Miss the ocean a ton.
13. Favorite book/author?
Enjoy many authors, but LOVE Jane Austen.
14. Favorite movie or tv show?
15. Favorite quote?
Shop smart. Shop S-MART. (well, HELLOOOO Mr. Fancy Pants!)
16. Favorite season?
Summer! Love to be outside!
17. Favorite food?
Italian, sushi, steak, burgers!
18. Favorite ice cream flavor?
Mint Chip Gelato
19. Favorite super hero?
20. What hobbies do you have?
Swimming, dancing, pool, broncos, outside.
21. What aspect are you working on?
With my 2nd Degree training on the horizon, I’m focused on remembering everything from the past and incorporating the new. I also realize there have been some technique adjustments here & there, so I want to get those figured out.
22. Dream vehicle?
Toyota Rav-4 AWD, fully loaded
23. Pets and/or kids?
one dog and one cat
24. Dream vacation?
Surfing in Hawaii
25. What did/do you want to be when you grow up?
First, a cop. Loved the cop show “Hunter” which was on in the 1980s.
Next, a ballet dancer. Got to do that for a while.
26. What do you want to learn?
In a very general sense, I love to learn. I’ll absorb anything I can get exposed to.
27. Vampires, werewolves, or zombies?
28. Ninjas or pirates?
Ninjas! ARRRRR! haha
29. What can’t you live without?
Coffee. Mmmmmm… coffee.
30. Star Wars or Star Trek?
31. If you were a cartoon character, who would you be and why?
I can’t cover this in a short answer.
33. Who or what inspires you?
My cousin is a firefighter. I’m always humbled by his commitment to his job and to the safety of others.
34. One thing you wish you were better at?
35. One thing you wish people knew about you?
I’m smarter than I look. I think…
36. What super power would you want to have?
Super strength. HULK SMASH!